Friday 1 May 2020

Ten Facts about Mountain Gorrilas

I chose to write about Mountain Gorillas because they look like an interesting animal to find out more about. Hope you enjoy my facts and comment what you think about it. (:

1. Only about 1063 Mountain Gorillas exist in the world.

2. Mountain Gorillas live in two isolated groups. One in the Virunga Volcanoes and one in the Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.

3. We surprisingly share around 98% of our DNA with Gorillas.

4. An average male mountain gorilla can weigh 180kg (that’s almost 30 stones!) and are 5 foot 5 tall. They are one of the biggest and powerful living primates.
Gorilla | Species | WWF

5. Mountain gorillas spend around ¼ of the day eating. That’s a lot of eating!

6. At night, Mountain Gorilla sleep together in nests on the ground or in trees that they make from foliage.

7. Mountain Gorillas have 16 different types of calls. Wow! To intimidate enemies they beat their chests and use vocals like roar or hoots.

8. Most Mountain Gorillas live in groups of about 10. When they get older most males and about 60/100 females leave their birth groups.

9. In the wild most Mountain Gorillas live from 35-40 years old. That’s younger than my mum is now!
10. As you saw at the beginning there are only 1063 gorillas left! They are close to extinction and need to be protected.

Hope everybody enjoyed my facts about the Mountain Gorilla! What is your favourite animal? Blog you later. (:

9 comments:

  1. Hi William, you have found out a LOT of very interesting facts about Mountain Gorillas and your information is clearly presented. Did you know because Gorillas have such similar DNA to humans, the forests they live in have had to be closed so people don't infect them with the Corona virus? I really hope they stay safe! I have a question for you - do you know if Mountain Gorillas are meat eaters or vegetarians? Do you know what they eat? bye : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mountain Gorillas are mostly vegans and mostly eat stems bamboo shoots and fruit.

      Delete
  2. Hi William, it's hard to believe such BIG animals live on bamboo and fruit! Have you checked out this week's blog for new Home Learning options? Hope to see you on Google Hangouts this week. bye : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, William , I loved reading this, mountain gorillas are one of my favourite animals. I was lucky enough to see them in the wild when I went to the Bwindi National forest 20 years ago. It was pretty scary and exciting seeing them close up, although we had to stay 10 m apart from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr Presnal, that sounds like a great experience. What is your favourite animal?
      Blog you later!

      Delete
  4. Kia ora, William. I loved reading your facts about mountain gorillas. These are one animal that I would love to go and see in their natural habitat. But, I guess that that is going to have to wait for some time. I was surprised, but happy to read what Megan said about them being closed off to visitors as they don't want them getting Corona virus. Would you like to see the mountain gorillas in their natural habitat one day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. William your information about mountain gorillas is fantastic, I knew their DNA was close to humans but I didn't realise it was 98%, I am so pleased that people are not allowed to visit them because of the virus, are you? Imagine what would happen if they got the virus!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello William, my name's Sarah and cool facts, I have 2 favorite animals a Wolf and a Fox!
    💜😒Do you prefer land or water animals?💜😁
    😝✌🐨🐼🐺BB4N GTR GTG😒👊🐹🐰🐶

    BB4N= bye bye for now
    GTR= gotta run
    GTG= gotta go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah I probably prefer land animals becuase I like monkeys and cheetahs. Bye!

      Delete